Authenticity entails being aware of who you are and what you stand for, as well as expressing yourself to the world genuinely and consistently.
Authenticity illustrates the path to living the life you desire. When you understand what is important to you, you can make decisions that are consistent with your identity and core values. You begin to construct a life that gives you meaning and joy.
Tips to find your authentic self.
1. Take an inventory of yourself. - When you are not abandoning your core values, asking yourself some relevant questions can help you figure out who you are. When you are clear on your values, it will be easier to make decisions that are true to your authentic self. Distinguish between situations in which you feel wrong and situations in which you feel authentic.
Make a note of:
Which people, activities, or situations bring you the most joy?
And people or situations in your life that make you unhappy, angry, or toxic.
2. Be aware of your Own State of Being - You are not aware of your own state of being if you are constantly caught off guard by your mental chitchat or responding to external circumstances. Take regular breaks to breathe and assess yourself the entire day. This will improve your consciousness and help you recognize when you are acting unauthentically.
3. Create a Social Support Network for Yourself - Look for people who will encourage you on your journey. Surround yourself with people who will lift you up. They can inspire you to be your authentic self. Meet people, communities, or groups who share your core values. Spend time with them and be there for them. Keep your distance from the moaners. Communicate with a coach or mentor who can guide you on your journey to self-discovery.
4. Speak your truth firmly and confidently - Improving your communication skills can have a significant impact on your ability to live your authentic life. Using an assertive communication style ensures open, honest dialogue while also taking into account the needs of others. This promotes balanced conversations in which both parties have an equal opportunity to speak. Set boundaries to avoid unhealthy communication and to help you stay authentic.
5. Take Action - Authenticity can appear to be a broad, enigmatic concept. But, when you get down to it, it all comes down to your day-to-day actions. Because it's the seemingly unimportant things you say, the decisions you make, and the actions you take that add up to make you who you are. Making an authentic life a reality begins with deliberate daily planning. Commit to minor tasks. You'll be surprised at how easy it is to see how small changes add up.
6. Take a step back to gain perspective - When you're stuck, it makes sense to use all of your mental resources to come up with an answer. However, this framework can sometimes lead to nothing more than a cycle of overthinking. You might need to take a day or a week off to do something fun. Taking a break allows you to listen to your heart and gut instincts, and the answers will come naturally.
7. Differentiate external and internal factors - When you take the time to distinguish between internal and external motivators, you will be able to make more informed decisions.
Consider the following:
Is this really what I'm looking for?
What do I hope to achieve with this goal?
Do I feel pressured to take this step by others? If so, who is it?
Am I willing to overcome significant obstacles to make this happen?
Pay attention to your instincts. When you use your intuition, you may find that you already know the answer!
Do you struggle with expressing yourself openly, figuring out who you are, and knowing what you want out of life?
“In order for connection to happen, we have to allow ourselves to be seen, really seen.”
- BRENÉ BROWN
You can't be authentic unless you believe in yourself and your ability to create the life you want.
If you're ready to heal and release the past, shift your mindset, and step into the most confident version of yourself, book a FREE Personal Empowerment Session with me now to find out how powerful coaching can be tailored to you, and your needs and goals.